The FAB Project is proposing to install an electrical interconnector which will run between France, Alderney and Britain.
The project required a community consultation ahead of the work, which KOR Communications planned and implemented. 85% of public expressed support for the project.
The project, which has been recognised as a ‘Project of Common Interest’ by the European Union, will help to meet the need for increasing the capacity of energy trade between Britain and France. It also aims to harness tidal energy from Alderney in the Channel Islands.
KOR implemented a programme of stakeholder engagement across East Devon to ensure that organisations and individuals who needed to be informed and consulted had been. Community consultation took place through:
- The organisation of ‘open day’ events with members of the FAB team available to answer questions
- Notices placed in local and regional media to alert people of the consultations
- Meetings and presentations organised with parish and town councils and MPs
- Surveys and opinion polls taken to measure sentiment and log feedback
- Relationships built with media to help the public understand the aims of project
- Consultation materials designed, including: brochures, banners, leaflets
- Acting as an external press office for the project, producing proactive and reactive statements on the project
Following the community consultation:
- 85% of public said they supported aims of the project
- 400+ attendees at consultation events
- Unanimous approval from East Devon District Council for UK converter station outline application
KOR continues to provide proactive and reputational press office support to the FAB Project team.
The team at KOR Communications has provided a unique combination of in depth knowledge of local communities together with unrivalled access to the local media. Combined with their responsive, professional and personal touch, this has enabled the FAB Project to have a meaningful dialogue with the people and businesses of East Devon which will make a huge contribution to the long-term success of the FAB Project. Chris Jenner, Development Manager at the FAB Project
Public supported FAB Project
Attendees at Consultation Events